Chi-rish

Saturday, March 29, 2014


There are few things I know about Chicago. They are as follow:

1. It is cold 95% of the time, and the wind is the worst, but when it is over, for the very very short time it is over, the summers are EPIC. Full disclosure, I don't actually know this, I haven't been here in the summer. But I take everyone's word for it.

2. Oprah

3. It's a grid- I'm slowly learning this.

4. The food. Oh the food.

5. St. Patrick's Day here is the most epic of all St. Patrick's Days.

I am going to focus on #5 in this post. I will keep you all posted on the others. I'm going to bet I'll never meet Oprah so that's just a fun fact for now.




Back to the business at hand. The business of green beer & shenanigans.


My friends are the best. I know everyone thinks that, but these girls really are amazing. My last night in Orlando, they all surprised me with their flights booked to Chicago for the St. Patrick's weekend. I literally could not contain my excitement. Best surprise ever.

 photo AmeliaStreet_Preview_Chi-rish__zpse149ad9d.jpg

I had ^ this many girls staying in my itty bitty place at one time (you might remember it from here.) We're actually missing one. Other than about 3 photos, I don't think all us girls were in one place at once. So this will have to suffice.

Everyone arrived at all different times, but there wasn't much question as to what we should do once we were together. Have beverages immediately, obviously. 



We were too into our drinks, laughing and catching up so there were zero photos taken at this pit stop. Plug: If you happen to be in Chicago and like amazing food, I highly recommend Beatrix- the gals loved it, as do I.



We all felt this way after, so it was off to the liquor store to stock up, naturally.

Mind you this was a Friday, the St. Patty's mayhem was taking place the next day, so drinking needed to be limited to daytime only to preserve our energy for Sat.. So, off to the Hancock Signature Room we went!

 photo JenAMcLean_zps37b2c516.jpg

Drinks get a bit pricey at 96 stories high. So, we kept it classy and went with beers. We also decided to mix it up and got 312 across the board.

 photo JenAMcLean-17_zpsac0d0d31.jpg


A little blurry, but hey. At least we took a picture. And look at that, Relax Grill is always making an appearance! Man I miss that place.

Who were we kidding? Day drinking always turns into night drinking. 

We went to a local pub just around the corner from my place after Hanckock. Next, out for dinner where we made up for two birthdays I missed while I've been away. The plan after was to go home and go to bed. 

Of course we didn't do any of that. We went to Butch McGuire's for one drink. 

That's a lie too, we stayed out until like 2am. We only had a couple days together people!
 photo 22a66e0f-2f28-4bd0-ab5c-243ca60d0f6bwallpaper_zpsc9fca366.jpg


And for the main event. St. Patrick's Day!


I did the whole- wake up at 6am, get to the Irish bar on the river at the crack of dawn, watch the river as it turns green thing- last year. Honestly, the 2pm crash wasn't worth it. You know what's worth it? sleeping and not hating your life halfway through the day because you just can't drink anymore. Or maybe I'm getting old. 

The day started on the rooftop.

 photo 1976918_10152000573974013_240732183_n_zpscb0ce49f.jpg



 photo 1922229_10100877544431293_1628709830_njpg_zps0c03ef8f.jpg

{yes, the shirts say "shit me i'm kiss faced"and they were hilarious}

Let's just say the rooftop drinking lasted much longer than we anticipated, and when it ended, it ended very abruptly when a series of cold winds ensued.

 photo 3362b5be-3240-477e-9a42-d0fbfa19b8fe_zps8591b3f7.jpg
{we were off to the land of the green river, beer, and hilarity}

We had intended to head straight to the river- but of course we b-lined it for the first bar we saw that didn't have a mile line outside. I think it was called Boss? I have no clue. I still barely know where I live.


 photo dbc0c194-b2a8-4d18-a902-40b62c158243_zpsaf1d45f8.jpg

{there were shots}


 photo 375650d1-59f4-4c8f-9dc2-be5dcefbfd02wallpaper_zps2905f40ajpg_zpsb6a12c5e.jpg

{there were selfies. there was dancing. there was a green wig}

 photo 1932263_10152000576679013_77923197_n_zpsc7db9426.jpg
{it was epic.}

And, Eventually...

 photo 1958525_10104292325117903_827966133_n_zpsf0ddf101.jpg

{we made it!}

 photo e66154f5-9bb0-4e87-b5cd-cbaff8f87b82wallpaper_zpsc70b0cd8.jpg

{the river had been green for a hot minute, but at least we saw it!}

What an amazing time we had. The day continued into the night, where we naturally had to make our way to...

 photo JenAMcLean-12_zpsd9eb8ca6.jpg
{our stomping ground, no matter what city we're in}

There are so many hilarious moments and stories I'm sure I have missed from the day/night- but once the last of us remembered we aren't college freshman anymore, and it's time for bed, we made our way back to my place. We laughed, attempted to order jimmy johns, and eventually, it was bed time.
 photo photo22_zps9cb3787b.jpg
{aren't they cuuute}

Sunday, it was back to unlimited mimosas at brunch. Us girls have still got it- if we can handle a day like that, and still champ up the nest morning and stay true to the tradition that is Sunday Funday, we are officially not old yet. 

Again no pics, we were focused on outrunning the inevitable hangover. But once we were at least a step ahead of a hangy, we moved the day along back to Butch McGuires. Had to send the girls off on a fun note!

Also... we experienced a first. We were sent soup. The bartender's exact words were: "ladies, those gentlemen over there wanted to send you some soup, on them." Literally. I could not stop laughing. Stick to drinks boys. 

 photo c0911a9d-31a4-4502-9331-3c26cfcd7c11_zps65e54a18.jpg

Now, let's not forget they're all tourists, and let's be honest, I may as well be one too. So, off to the bean we went! It's one of those necessary pics if you come to Chicago. If you leave without a picture of the bean, you're the worst - it's free and the pics turn out awesome. 

 photo JenAMcLean-1_zps555dcccb.jpg

{the bean}

Well, to say I had a blast would be an understatement. I am blessed to have the group of girlfriends I do, but I'm even more grateful we're able to still stay so connected. FaceTime, social media, the fact that we all have great jobs that allow us to travel- it's really incredible. I can't wait to see them again, I'll be O-Town bound in a few weeks, and I'm hungover just thinking about the plethora of wine nights we have in store.

 photo photo18_zps766390a9.jpg

Love you all to the moon and back- thank you again for being so gone with the wind fabulous (Meghann and Stephanie are probably the only ones who will get that.) Can't wait to reunite soon!

e1c5ef8512795f602fc5fd9567a3062656b58754e36d6f2d49

2 comments:

  1. You guys are the CUTEST! Also, Bailey totally gets the Real Housewives reference....see: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f3/ab/f5/f3abf5ddd0d6f04c43b309887c79eb56.jpg

    <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed you so much Kate! And omg. I am literally LOLing at that picture of Bailey. You need to print that out and keep it at your desk, where I will be joining you oh so soon <3

      Delete