The Optimist's List

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

It's pretty crazy to see how optimistic people are here in Chicago.


After a hell of a winter, and still with not much end in sight, everyone I meet is so optimistic for the summer, they all tell me I won't believe how amazing it is. I'm holding my breath, but the beach bum in me is getting restless.





No one takes good weather for granted. And by good weather, I mean we're fighting for a seat on the patio at 50 degrees, while it's slightly overcast and there are 10 mph winds. That's good weather. I know this because it happened Sunday.

I'm looking at you, Florida.

I was reading somewhere that you can't pinpoint when exactly Spring hits, but one day, all of a sudden, you're walking to work and you slowly feel yourself peeling the layers back.

First, there go your gloves, then your scarf, then you're like holy crap. When did this happen and why do I have to go sit inside? Everyone is basically stripping on their walk to work.

BAM. Spring is here. And thank freaking god. Let the hundred days of spring/summer commence!

I've been eying quite a few trends to start planning my warmer weather wardrobe. A trend I'm absolutely dying over is the boyfriend short. They can be dressed up, dressed down, worn out, thrown over a bathing suit. I just think they're so on point. There's something really sexy about using a casual/comfortable piece in a trendy way. This item tops my list, so I've pulled together a few ways I'm planning to try out my newest obsession, once I decide on the perfect pair.


Date Night Out . Girls Night Out



Spring Stripes


Stripes, coral, and cognac are quite literally heaven on earth and in my opinion, one of the best combinations a girl could take advantage of. If you know me, you know I have an OBSESSION with navy and white stripes. So, when I saw stripes popping up more than usual on Pinterest, my heart obviously became so full and content in the glory that is this nautical pattern.

Outdoor Festival . Brunching It


Untitled #3

{bag. earringsshortsshoes}

Another trend I'm so eager to try: the gladiator sandal. Oh. My. GOD. I cannot wait for this. I picked up this pair from JustFab.com with a credit I had stored for a rainy day. I'll keep you posted with how they turned out!

I've taken notes from my girl, J from J's Everyday Fashion, and have learned to splurge on classic pieces, and save on trendy items. As much as I would love for the gladiator sandals to become a staple, my money is on them lasting for this season, and by Halloween they'll be my last minute costume crutch. We shall see.


Errand Running . Day after Brunching Too Hard



If there is a trend that is comfortable and fashionable (reference the boyfriend shorts above) I am 100% sold and will wear them until they literally go out of style. I am not a heel person. I fall walking on a flat surface barefoot, so God help me in heels. Count me and my dignity in on the Converse trend. Classic, comfortable, and affordable. Love it.

I can wear zero of the above for at least another month, but I'm trying to stay optimistic! Florida friends- are you seeing any of these trends popping up? Any favorites?

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore every single piece of all of these outfits. those red + crystal drop earrings. and your "brunching too hard" outfit - love :) chels @ LLinaBC.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chelsea!! Yes, I am loving those earrings- they're high on my wish list so be on the lookout for a post to come on those. Also, I notice you used to live in Chicago, I'd love to hear any "must dos" on your list!

      Delete