just around the (chicago) riverbend

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I have successfully crossed an item off my bucket list. 

It only took me half the summer :)

 photo IMG_0425.jpg
We drunkenly booked this adventure with Kayak Chicago- for July 5th. I'm glad we at least knew not to do the early afternoon tour. To our friends who came, you're welcome.



I can honestly say this was a blast. If you know me, you know I'm as girlie as they come, so this may come as a surprise, but I had a lot of fun. 

I'm actually considering going again. 

I'm as shocked as you are. 


The day started with brunch, obviously. I needed liquid courage for this adventure. An adorable little place in Old Town called Kingsbury St. Cafe was our first stop. And holy shit, was their food amazing. 

Angel food waffles, bacon bloody mary's (for the meat eaters) fresh squeezed OJ mimosas.
And the cutest patio. 

 photo IMG_0404.jpg

Once we were nice and liquored up, we headed out to our destination. 

We checked in, suited up. 

Then the question came: "is anyone riding tandem?" 

Bitch was not about to do this alone. Nor was I about to be in the back of the pack by myself. 

I shot my hand up, and waited for one of the 4 others in our group to offer. 
Eventually, I got a taker. 

 photo IMG_0424.jpg

Meet David. 

David wasn't very fond of me or my tandem partner Alyssa. He explained doing a tandem kayak was like running a 3 legged race, that it's easier to go at it alone, yadda, yadda. 

You know what? I like 3 legged races. 

I also love a good challenge.

>>And guess what?<<


 photo IMG_0407.jpg

We did just fine. Got soaked, almost lost my phone to some serious water damage, and my arms hurt like hell the next day. 

But we did it and we actually had fun. 

David even admitted he was impressed shocked- and honestly I was shocked as hell too, because I'm the worst at everything besides flip cup.

here's the city from the water up


 photo 62b1be90-ced7-43d3-b5df-fae6c1014157.jpg

>>one of my favorite parts of the city<<

 photo IMG_0421.jpg

>>got some american flag action in<<

 photo a9bef8ac-54b1-435d-9a7f-a1ec7cba61b4.jpg

>>my arms were falling off right about here<<

 photo c1f2451d-9e05-4789-87bb-ed3b12d26218.jpg

>>that boat meant business<<

Seeing the city in this perspective was amazing, and I highly recommend going if you're ever in the city and don't want to spend a thousand dollars standing in a glass box that is terrifying. 

I would, however, have:

1. gotten a life-proof case for my phone - gotta protect those selfies.
2. packed a water bottle of vodka. because life is more fun that way. 

Here's to the next stop. And here's to my arms feeling better soon.

5 comments:

  1. This looks like too much fun!!! I've been wanting to go kayaking after I went paddle boarding in the Keys. Going to Jupiter next weekend so I'm definitely going to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go!! What a great way to view the city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome! Like you're kayaking right through the city! That boat came pretty close though...I'd be freaking out. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like SO much fun! What a great way to see the city too! If I'm ever up in Chicago (Taylor, hurry up and make your new concert schedule) I'm definitely going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for letting me be a part of the adventure...it was amazing. SHOUT OUT TO KONRAD!

    ReplyDelete